Monday, January 31, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce


I have to admit, me relationship with Mexican food is complicated and evolving. My idea of a burrito was chicken, cheese, rice and sour cream...no beans, no spice, salsa, nothing. For someone who doesn't like different foods on my plate touching, I avoided enchiladas because I don't like when things get so soggy you can't tell what's what. I got over SOME of that and made my own variation of this tasty dish.

Ingredients: 2 large chicken breasts, whole wheat or blue corn tortillas, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 1/2 c. of light sour cream, 1 1/2c. salsa (I prefer salsa verde, but traditional salsa works too), 2 c. separated (1 c. separated for the light version) shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese, 1 small can of green chilies, 1 can of black beans, mushrooms, spinach.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the chicken into small pieces and cook with mushrooms on the stove top on medium with 2 tbsp of water, covered to steam. Mix the soup, sour cream, salsa, beans, green chilies and 1/2 the cheese in a bowl. Separate 1/8 of the mixture (enough to spread on the bottom of the casserole type dish) and spread evenly. Save 1/4 of the mixture for the top. Add chicken and mushrooms to the rest of the mixture stirring together. Place tortilla in dish, fill with fresh spinach, then chicken/mushroom/enchilada filling, fold over and turn to the side to hold together. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and tortillas. I prefer to fill them pretty full and use less tortillas, but you can easily stretch this out to get more servings. Then cover tortillas with remainder of enchilada sauce and other 1/2 of grated cheese. Cover dish and cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 10 more minutes.

Great for feeding a big group and even better leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment